Bob Dohn Schaumburg Real Estate


 

Village of Mundelein

440 E Hawley, Mundelein, IL 60060

http://www.mundelein-il.org/

Demographics

 

Population: 30,935

Total Housing Units: 10,167

Median Age: 31.7 years

Average Household Size of Owner-Occupied Units: 3.10

Family Households: 7,717

(Information from 2000 census)

Location

Mundelein is located in Central Lake County, Illinois, 35 miles Northwest of downtown Chicago, five miles west of Interstate 94 and 20 miles north of O'Hare airport. Mundelein is served by four major State Highways: Route 60, Route 45, Route 176 , and Route 83. The proposed extension of the Route 53 Tollway will pass through the western portion of Mundelein with two interchanges to serve the Village.

Transportation

METRA Commuter rail service is available from downtown Mundelein to downtown Chicago and O'Hare airport. PACE operates daily bus service through the Village on the 572 route. PACE Dial-A-Ride service is provided to senior citizens and handicapped. Local Businesses are served with rail service by the Wisconsin Central and the E.J.&E. railroads.

Recreation

Mundelein is known for fine golf courses. The Village has seven public courses located within or adjacent to its boundaries. Steeple Chase Golf Course, operated by the Mundelein Park District; Village Green Golf Course, private ownership; Pine Meadow Golf Course, private ownership; Countryside Golf Course East and West (36 holes) operated by the Lake County Forest Preserve; and Indian Creek Golf Course, private ownership. The 36 hole Ivanhoe Country Club, a private course, is also adjacent to the Village.

Additional recreation includes boating, fishing, ice-skating, and swimming on Diamond Lake; indoor and outdoor swimming pools; over 20 neighborhood parks, a new community center operated by the Mundelein Park District opened in January 1998.

Mundelein Park and Recreation District

The Park District was created by referendum on September 15, 1954. Since its creation the Park District has grown from 14 total acres to 33 sites and 736 acres. Facilities now include the Mundelein Community Center with its Park View Health & Fitness Center and Big & Little Child Development Center, the highly rated Steeple Chase Golf Course, the Mundelein Senior Center, Diamond Lake Recreation Center, Kracklauer Dance Studio, Fort Hill Heritage Center (Museum), and the Community Park Chalet that was converted from an original A-Frame (one of the first buildings the district ever constructed). http://www.mundeleinparks.org/index.html

Fremont Public Library: 1170 N. Midlothian Rd.

Phone: 847-566-8702. Web: http://www.fremontlibrary.org/location.asp

History

The Village of Mundelein boasts a long and rich history. It was first inhabited by the Potowatami Indians. As early as 1650, these native Americans were trading with the French fur traders. Nearly two centuries later, the first settlers moved into the area now known as Mundelein. The first known settler was Peter Shaddle, who built a log cabin on what is now the grounds of St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in 1835.

A group of English emigrants came to the area to escape the industrial depression occurring in England. These tradesmen became farmers and named their new community "Mechanics Grove" after the life they left behind. They built churches and schools, and expanded the settlement to the Diamond Lake area.

During this expansion, a man by the name of John Holcomb purchased a great deal of land in the area, and became active in the leadership of the rapid development of the area. In his honor, the unincorporated community changed its name to "Holcomb." The area of "Holcomb" continued to grow, and gained a railroad station and a post office. In February, 1909, the Holcomb area incorporated under the name of "Rockefeller" in honor of railroad magnate John D. Rockefeller. It didn't keep the new name very long, however. In July, 1909, the village changed its name to "Area." Arthur Sheldon, an educational entrepreneur in town, bought 600 acres to build a school for sales techniques. His sales program attracted a peak of 10,000 students, including many women, which was unusual for the times. The school flourished for a few years, and made such an impact on the town that they accepted Sheldon's request to rename the newly incorporated Village to "Area," an acronym for his sales school philosophy, "Ability, Reliability, Endurance, and Action."

After a few years, Sheldon's school folded. In 1921, Archbishop (soon to be Cardinal) George Mundelein of Chicago, bought the property and authorized the construction of St. Mary's of the Lake Seminary. The village changed its name again in 1924 in recognition of Cardinal Mundelein's success with the new seminary. In thanks, the Cardinal donated the Village its first new fire truck upon completion of the Village Hall in 1929. The current Village Hall, with a few additions, is the same structure today that was built in 1929.

Phone Numbers

 

Village of Mundelein

Main Number : 847-949-3200

Utility

Company

Phone

Electricity

Com Ed

800 334-7661

Natural Gas

Nicor

888-642-6748

Water/Sewer

Village of Mundelein Water/Sewer Dept.

847-949-3273

Local Phone

SBC

800 244-4444

Trash Collection

Mundelein Disposal or

Waste Management

847-566-5159

800-964-8988

Cable TV

Comcast

866-594-1234

Mundelein Elementary School District 75 is comprised of three elementary schools (K-5) and a middle school (6-8) with a total student enrollment of approximately 2300 students. School District 75 sets high standards for student performance and scores well above national levels in all testing areas. It is highly regarded throughout the community for its excellent teaching staff, warm learning environment, and for the wise use of educational funding. District 75 lies completely within the boundaries of the Village of Mundelein and all students go on to Mundelein High School.

The District employs 170 professional staff members and 50 support staff members. The teaching staff averages over 10 years of teaching experience. This helps provide an energized and enriched learning environment. Teachers are actively involved in new training opportunities that enhance teaching effectiveness. District 75 has curriculum and gifted coordinators, a special services director and teaching specialists in the areas of art, music, physical education, special education, bilingual education, technology, library/media services, counseling, nursing, and social work.. http://www.d75.lake.k12.il.us/d75pages/school.htm

 

Coldwell Banker Schaumburg Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
20 South Roselle Road , Schaumburg, IL 60193

 

| Home | Search for Homes | Receive MLS Updates | Bob’s Listings | Mortgage FAQs | Best Loan Rates | Get Pre-Approved NOW! |

| Buyer FAQs | FREE Info for Buyers | Seller FAQs | FREE Info for Sellers | Free Homeowner Info | Professional Profile | Testimonials |

| Community Info | School Info | Helpful Links | Privacy Policy | Site Map |