Lake in the Hills Real Estate for Sale
At a Glance…
Population: 23,152 (2000 census)
Distance to O’Hare Airport: 35 Miles; To downtown Chicago: 48 Miles; To Midway Airport: 52 Miles
Transportation. Randall Road runs from I-90 to Illinois 31, through Lake in the Hills. Drive time to the Loop is 60 minutes. O'Hare and Midway airports are 30 and 60 minutes away, respectively. Rail commuters may board the Union Pacific in Cary, Crystal Lake or Barrington and the Milwaukee District line in Elgin. A train ride to Chicago takes about an hour. Bus service and Dial-A-Ride are available
Village Hall Phone Number: 847-960-7400 Village Web Site: http://www.lith.org/
Lake in the Hills was once a sleepy little community with farms dotting the surrounding landscape. Paved streets and major thoroughfares now mask the dirt roads and quieter times. However, a few original farms and fieldstone foundations still stand today as reminders of our past. The history of Lake in the Hills started in 1923, when Federal Judge Walter J. La Buy began purchasing property around what is now Woods Creek Lake, the Village's main lake. By 1926 he had acquired 472 acres as his estate. Along the south side of Woods Creek Lake, on Indian Trail, five stucco houses were built for the judge's children.
Today only one house stands in its original state, while the others have been altered and enlarged. These homes remain clearly distinguished by the gingerbread European Cottage style of architecture. Like other early houses in Lake in the Hills, the stucco homes were used as summer homes. The picturesque views from house to house were credited to Judge La Buy, as he was responsible for planting the many pine and oak trees that are now major attractions for home buyers. Through Judge La Buy's efforts, the lake was dammed and further dug out in 1923, creating Woods Creek Lake. This work was difficult, since mules were used for the excavation. Today, the lake is actually much larger than the original size, as it was enlarged over the years. When it was first completed, the lake stopped just short of where the western-most stucco houses stand. The lot now owned by the Village, between 292 and 290 Indian Trail, was designated as the children's beach.
An island was created just a few feet from the beach accessible by a footbridge. During the 1940's, Raymond Platt, who was affiliated with Dearborn Builders of Chicago, his wife Bernice and brother-in-law J.R. Ladd purchased property from Judge La Buy. In 1947, the Platt's home became permanent and in May of that year they formed the Lake in the Hills Development Corporation. The area was now open to the general public. The Development Corporation nicknamed the area "Out of Bounds Hunting and Fishing Estate" and were credited with the property being called "an outstanding example of a well-planned community in a natural setting."
Many of these summer homes soon became year round residences. In September of 1950, the Property Owners Association (P.O.A.) was formed specifically to address the problems of snow removal and maintenance of the roads. This was the beginning of the first organized Village decision making body, which was formally incorporated November 29, 1952. Lake in the Hills has continued to grow and develop since the 1950's. With its incorporation as a village in 1952, Mr. Platt donated his sales office at 55 Hilltop to serve as the first Village Hall.
In 1959, a new Village Hall and Police court were relocated to 1111 Crystal Lake Road. This remained the municipal center until 1992 when the current Village Hall and Police Department offices were erected at 1115 Crystal Lake Road. The Public Works Department was housed at 600 E Oak Street until 1995, when it was relocated to a state-of-the-art Public Works facility, south of Albrecht Road and west of Miller Road. In recent years Lake in the Hills has seen much growth, increasing from a 1990 population of just under 6,000, to an estimated population of 20,000 today. Population estimates have Lake in the Hills eclipsing 30,000 people by the year 2005.
PARKS and RECREATION
The Lake in the Hills Parks and Recreation Department was established in 1997. It oversees twenty-two park sites which includes: Indian Trail Beach, playgrounds, baseball, softball, soccer fields, bicycle trails as well as all recreation programs, special events, trips and outings.
Detailed information on recreation classes and news of the Parks and Recreation Department is published three times a year. This brochure is mailed to all village residents for the Summer, Fall, and Winter/Spring seasons. Information on class registration forms and deadline procedures can be found in these brochures. Extra copies are available at the Village Hall 1115 Crystal Lake Road. For further information please call (847) 658-4213 Ext. 340.
Lake in the Hills Affiliate Organizations There are several local organizations that serve the sports needs of the community. Listed below are the current affiliate organizations. If you need further information regarding these or any other sports please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (847) 658-4213.